Huge thanks

Huge thanks

par Dominique PAPION,
Nombre de réponses : 0

66 years old, retired site manager for the company HPB (Holiday Property Bond), I took up Mandarin Chinese out of intellectual curiosity and artistic interest in its writing. Very quickly fascinated by this language and the Chinese culture, I completed the Learn-chinese.online training in 3 and a half years and can only recommend this fabulous method; I am very impressed by its efficiency. Although it requires a considerable amount of individual work like any learning process, the flexible schedule of an online method allows you to progress at your own pace. Added to this is the exceptional quality/price ratio of this online course. But more than anything, its major interest and particularity lie in its structured and progressive spiral method with a snowball effect that ensures a solid base and continuous growth. Everything is well thought out and well balanced. The new characters are broken down to practice writing them, with an indication of their graphic components to better memorize them. New vocabulary and grammar points are reviewed in sentences, texts, written and oral comprehension exercises, then revised in subsequent lessons. Consequently, if despite the effort made, it is still difficult to assimilate certain words or characters - which are not necessarily the most complicated but are then difficult to memorize for whatever reason - there is no need to be discouraged, to get bogged down, we can move forward with confidence because these words or characters will be reintroduced in new contexts, confronted with homonyms, homophones, homographs, heteronyms, associated with other characters, with additional information on their use, etc. etc. Moreover, one must also let oneself be 'carried' by the language and not seek a Cartesian explanation or a literal translation at all costs. This method promotes adaptation to a different frame of thoughts through its excellent introduction to Chinese culture. To me, Mandarin Chinese is a bit like Pointillism in painting. If too close, we do not see much. If we take a step back, we see and “feel” the painting very well. For Mandarin Chinese, you also have to let yourself be 'immersed', you don’t have to explain everything. This language requires a precise analysis of the genre '7 errors game’ to differentiate between very similar characters, a grammatical and syntactic knowledge, but also a ‘cognitive reframing software’ to replace for example our notions of conjugation by different grammar structures just as interesting, very rewarding. I also really like 'chengyu', these 4-character expressions with effective conciseness combined with a poetic halo. The exercises proposed at the end of the lessons also occasionally introduce new words formed from the juxtaposition of characters already seen, the meaning of the association is then quite obvious, and it is, again, a gentle introduction to the construction of words in that language. In addition to the usual visual and auditory memories, Mandarin Chinese also uses kinesthetic memory; it is sometimes very surprising not to be able to “visualize” a sinogram when the hand can reproduce it without visual support. And for oral comprehension, icing on the cake, the voices are extremely pleasant to listen to!
It is also important to supplement this learning with revisions via other resources, depending on individual interests. Personally, I watch a lot of subtitled series, I also listen to/read a lot of songs and, oh wonder
😊, the more vocabulary you learn in the course, the more you are able to recognize words, then whole sentences, on the different media used: very exciting and motivating!
Besides his integrative method, I am also very impressed by Tianxiang’s availability on the forum, his quick and encouraging responses, his kindness and his modesty. Truly admirable: a big thank you, Professor, for sharing with us your passion and your knowledge in such a generous way.
Dominique